Tuesday 22 November 2011

Left-handed guitar-playing



So I am a leftie. Recently we decided to learn how to play the guitar. The same week we found this bargain at Lidl's. Who'dve thought that was the place to pick up musical instruments?! Well, it was cheap, but we needed something to bash around while we got the hang of it.

What I've learnt so far:
-I want to hold the guitar the same way as right-handers. Phew, that's a relief.
-However, I can't shake the feeling that it would be better to have the low E string at the floor end of the row and the high E at the ceiling end. Things seem a bit up-side-down.
-I can finally do a decent job of the following chords: D, D minor, A, A minor, C, G, E, E minor (D and C are still tricky though).
-I don't like the way my right hand strums, especially upwards.

My friend has a left-handed guitar with the strings strung with the low E near the floor and the high E near the ceiling, I thought this was delightful until I learnt the point of this change.

It is done this way so that the chords can be played with the right hand and the strumming done with the left (so the guitar head is facing the other direction to normal). This is not so cool.

Left-handed guitarists (to name a few):
Jimi Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Bob Geldof
Justin Bieber
Paul MacCartney
Paul's a leftie too.


I've decided that as I learnt to crochet the right-handed way, I'm just going to keep on playing the guitar that way too.


0 things you've said:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I would love to reply. Due to blogspot's slightly strange setup you'll only get to see my reply if you check back here in a day or two, or if you click on 'subscribe by email' under the comment box. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...